Friday, February 25, 2005

Is Religion a factor in a relationship?

I would think yes. But many think it isn't.


Some of the opinions:

- You love the person, you are married to that person. Not to his religion!

- It's not for me, it's for my family's sake.

- Religion is very personal. We cannot force our partner to change their personal belief.

- I don't know what my Christian brethens would think of me going out with a non-Christian girl.


For example, if you marry a Muslim today in Malaysia or in Thailand:

1. You have to convert

2. You have to follow their customs

Ironically, in some other parts of the world , eg: Palestine : Yasser Arafat was married to a Christian lady called Suha. My point is, a religion , or rather, the difference of it, did not deter them from loving one another in a marriage which bore them a child. In Malaysia, fatwas speak very loudly. Rules are made based on situations and the environment which we leave in. In Singapore, it is not necessary to convert to Islamic faith if you are not
and yet your partner is. This is the freedom of personal belief.


Probable reasons why some are unwilling to marry a person of another faith:

1. Risk the lost of identity in case their marriage ended up in a separation.

2. Family obligation to keep a faith ongoing for tradition sake.

3. Fear of the unknown.

4. Fear of family rejection.

5. Dislike of the partner's faith.

6. Believes personal faith is a much more important factor than romanctic love.


To me, a religion is more of a guidance to my communications with God. In a structured religion, I learn about God's behaviours, characters, expectations, broken dreams , shattered hopes, renewed faith in Mankind, and His everlasting Love, Grace and Mercy for us. I do see Him as a figure of reverance, of discipline, of anger, of wrath, because it is evident throughout the history. But , He is also the source of comfort, of strength, of joy, of love, when everything else fails me. What He does everyday still amazes me.

It's a relationship with God, the One whom we commune with everyday, every moment. Even when our life partner could not be there, or does not know the deepest secrets and longings in our lives, He does.

I guess, with God in a relationship with a person which I feel most peaceful with, wil be the one I go for... May He bless my journey to find and be found.


In Your hands I enthrust my spirit, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment