Saturday, June 25, 2005

Attempt at the Rice Cake

Haven't been to the kitchen for a long time, so now it's going back there to experiment. Saw the recipe in the book yesterday night and thought, hmmm.. since I'm not gonna do anything today, I might as well make some good use of my time to cook something which I like to eat when I was young....

I remember the times when I was still a kid, and how I loved to eat rice cake from the market place in Pekeliling made by this particular grandma. (Wonder where she went to now that Pekeliling had to move) Well, it's not expensive, I think a piece just cost 50 cents in those days... OK, maybe more... A good rice cake is translucent , indicating how smooth the texture of the cake within was... Use a fork and cut a small portion out of the cake before adding a little condiment made of "choi pou"(a type of vegetable) fried together with shrimps ... mmm..

It's just the little things in life which makes us happy isn't it? :)

Why did I like the cake so much? Well, yeah, it's just a simple food since the cake is just made of rice flour anyway. It's the skill to make the cake smooth as silk which amazed me more. Now that I have to learn to make it myself, I realised that things aren't simple as they look! Looks like I've to return to the kitchen to perfect the skill before actually presenting my own rice cake to anyone...

No comments:

Post a Comment